The London Office is part of the international network of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES). It was established in 1988 to promote better understanding of British-German relations, mainly by means of seminars and reports on political trends in Britain and Germany.
The Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung's work in the United Kingdom focuses in particular on the exchange of ideas and discussion on the following topics:
- common challenges facing Germany, the United Kingdom and the European Union
- economic and social policy
- experiences gained from the differing regional and local policies and practices
- a continuing dialogue between politicians in both countries, particularly through a series of meetings for MPs
- a continuing dialogue between the trades unions, particularly via the annual British-German Trade Union Forum launched in 2002